Whether you own a home or business, you do everything possible to keep your property safe not only from theft, but also from anything that might happen unexpectedly such as electrical fires.
Being aware of the dangers and potential causes of electrical fires is crucial to keep your property from harm. Let’s explore how a broken outlet can cause a fire and what can you do to prevent this from happening.
Broken Outlets and Switches
If you have an old outlet or light switch that is not properly grounded, have it fixed right away or consider installing a new one. Faulty electrical outlets can lead to electrical fires. Since outlets and switches get old overtime, the wiring behind them will loosen eventually, and this can lead to breakage causing a fire.
Another situation where outlets with nothing plugged in can catch fire is when the circuit cable termination to the outlet is not properly tightened at the installation stage. Since an outlet has a continuous supply of power through a breaker, this may overheat and catch on fire.
An outlet can also catch fire even if nothing is plugged in. This can occur in homes that use aluminum wiring. If your house was built more than 50 years ago, chances are, it was built with aluminum wiring. Aluminum wires are more likely to catch fire, because aluminum is softer and expands more than copper. It easily breaks and causes loose connection, causing it to overheat quickly. If you suspect you have aluminum wiring at home, watch for signs that could indicate a serious problem, such as warm light switches, flickering lights, the smell of burning plastic and presence of sparks.
Old and Worn Appliances
Old and worn out appliances can also cause an electrical outlet fire. Worn and aging electrical components can become frayed over time, and old appliances tend to consume more electrical supply than many new ENERGY STAR rated appliances. Furthermore, the insulation used in many old appliances has high flammability. So it can overheat quickly, leading to a fire.
Do you often use extension cords in your home? If you do, keep in mind that extension cords are also considered a fire hazard. If all your appliances are plugged into a single extension cord, excessive power load will most likely occur. This will pose a risk to your home for an electrical fire because having a circuit overload is not safe.
Fire Prevention Tips
Here are some fire prevention tips that you can follow to avoid the risk of experiencing electrical outlet fire in your home or business.
- Repair loose outlets, to improve connection tighten the wire nuts or replace the entire outlet if possible.
- Replace aluminum wires with copper wires. Call a qualified electrician to replace the wiring for you.
- Avoid extension cords whenever possible. If you must use an extension cord make sure it is in good condition and check it frequently.
- Always pay attention to your appliances especially the outdated ones. Check if there are any exposed wires. If the appliance operates improperly, repair or replace it immediately.
How OHM Electrical Contracting Can Help
OHM Electrical Contracting LLC is an electrical contracting firm that can address all of your electrical needs. The owner is a licensed 01-Master Electrician who has extensive knowledge in troubleshooting, complicated electrical systems, efficient electrical energy design and electrical safety.
Our company has a team of qualified, experienced and professional electrical technicians who follow the National Electrical Code when looking over your home or business. We pride ourselves on being experts who can conduct a thorough electrical safety auditing of your wiring, electrical panels and wall outlets and electrical switches. We focus on renewable electrical systems and we provide our customers quality renewable energy solutions.
When you’re looking for quality and affordable electrical service, CONTACT OHM for all of your electrical needs!
Electrical Contractors in Seattle, WA
If you’re looking to hire an electrical contracting firm in Seattle then give OHM a call! Our team of electricians can handle any and all electrical needs. Founder and owner, Alfred Sim, is a Master 01 Electrician who works with residential, commercial, and industrial property owners.