Although it’s rare, accidents involving electricity are very dangerous. That is why homeowners should be aware of common electrical problems in order to prevent tragedies from happening. Here are 5 of the most common home electrical problems that you might want to watch out for:
Lights that Dim or Flicker
It is not normal for lights to flicker or dim. If you notice this, then there may be a problem with your electrical wiring that needs immediate attention.
This could mean a poor connection in your wiring, and potentially could lead to arching. Issues with poor or intermittent contact in your wiring can often be resolved by rewiring the light fixture or fixing connections in the junction box, but this should be assessed and handled by a professional electrician.
Outlets or Switches that Are Warm to the Touch
If you notice an outlet or switch is warm to the touch, this usually means it is overloaded. Immediately unplug everything from the outlet, or turn off the switch. Your next step should be to contact an electrician to troubleshoot and fix this problem. If the root cause is not addressed, it can lead to an electrical fire, so this is not a situation you want to take lightly.
Breaker that Frequently Trips
A breaker that frequently trips is a common home electrical problem. It often happens when you are using one or more appliances with high wattage requirements, like a hair dryer and/or a heavy duty vacuum. If you frequently have a larger electrical load in one area of your home, and it’s causing your breaker to trip, you might want to consider having an electrician create a new circuit for your house, and/or you may need to upgrade your electrical panel.
Dead outlets are sometimes caused by a tripped circuit breaker, but it could also be an indication of a wiring issue, such as loose wires or corrosion on the terminals. If you verify that it’s not a tripped breaker, you should have an electrician assess your situation since there may be larger problems with your electrical wiring.
Too Many Extension Cords
One of the most common problems with extension cords has to do with durability. Extension cords are designed to carry heavy loads for a short distance. If you try using them for longer distances or heavier loads, they can overheat and become a fire hazard.
If you use extension cords on a regular or ongoing basis, this may mean you really need more outlets and/or more conveniently placed outlets in your home, so that you can plug things in without using an extension cord.
OHM Is Here For You!
OHM Electrical Contracting is here to find and fix all of your home electrical problems. Contact OHM today to get started!