When it comes to home lighting, recessed lights are a popular option. Also known as can lights, these fixtures are installed in the ceiling and provide a clean, modern look. In addition to their minimalist appeal, recessed lights are also very versatile. They can be used to highlight artwork or architectural features, create a warm and inviting atmosphere in a living room or bedroom, or provide bright, task-oriented lighting in a kitchen or workspace. Best of all, recessed lights are relatively easy to install and can be found at most home improvement stores. So if you’re looking for a way to update your home’s look and feel, recessed lighting is definitely worth considering.
Installing recessed lights can also be a great way to improve visibility in your home. If you have a room that doesn’t get a lot of natural light, recessed lighting can help brighten it up. Additionally, if you have a dark hallway or staircase, recessed lighting can provide much-needed illumination.
Benefits of Recessed Lighting
There are a number of benefits that recessed lighting can offer your home. If you have a small space that you want to keep looking open and airy, recessed lighting can be a great option. Recessed lights provide needed additional light without drawing attention away from a statement piece such as a dramatic chandelier over your dining table.
Great for Low Ceilings
Recessed lights are ideal for rooms with low ceilings, like in basements or attics. This is because they don’t stick out from the ceiling like other types of lights, so you don’t need to worry about bumping your head.
Highlight Art or other Features
Another great benefit of can lights is that, depending on placement, you can use them to spotlight artwork or specific areas in your home.
Clean, Classic Design
Recessed lighting also has a clean, classic design that can complement any style. Whether you have a traditional home or a more modern space, recessed lights can help you achieve the look you want.
Can Lights vs Canless LED Options
Recessed lights are often referred to as can lights. These are the traditional recessed lights that require a metal housing and light bulb. Canless LED recessed lights don’t require a housing and use less energy than traditional recessed lights. Either option could be right for you, so we recommend investigating both and consulting with a designer to help make your decision.
How to Install Recessed Lighting
Recessed lighting installation can be tricky, so it’s important to know what you’re doing before you start. Here are a few tips:
– First, mark the location of the recessed light on the ceiling with a pencil. Use a level to make sure the mark is straight.
– Next, cut out the hole for the recessed light using a hole saw or drywall saw.
– Once the hole is cut, feed the recessed light wiring through it and connect the light to the power source.
– Finally, apply caulk around the recessed light to seal it in place.
– Always hire a professional electrician to handle the wiring for your new recessed lights. If you’re a homeowner in the Seattle area, OHM Electrical Contracting can handle this for you. Contact OHM today to get started!
Factors to Consider When Installing Can Lights
There are a few factors you should consider when installing recessed lighting:
– The size of the recessed light. Make sure to measure the hole you’ll be cutting before you purchase your recessed light.
– The type of recessed light. As mentioned above, there are two main types of recessed lights: can lights and canless LED lights. Choose the type that best suits your needs.
– The location of the recessed light. Keep in mind that recessed lights can get hot, so avoid placing them near flammable materials. If you have insulation in your ceiling you’ll want to be sure to avoid a hazardous situation.
Installing recessed lighting can be a great way to improve the look and feel of your home. Just be sure to keep these tips in mind before you start.
Contact OHM today to help with your recessed lighting installation job!